custom hw vs cots

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Tue Aug 23 21:01:38 PDT 2005

>- can you/we buy a 100TB system off the shelf ???
>
>	- yes .. but its not cheap ...
>
>	and we're way underpriced so we're hoping to
>	get the hw contract
>
>	add back in for the marketing/sales and tradeshow costs
>	and we'd be in the same price point as
>	everybody else ... ( 100x mark up of hw costs )
>
>	- it's targeted for a major colo facility
>
>- than add "services" to the custom hardware and hopefully
>  everybody are happy campers
>
>c ya
>alvin

On the note of  Storage, Capricorn's offering looks pretty good. 80TB in one
rack, according to their #s means 30 AMPS.. at least at my datacenter,
that's
about $500/month for power.. I don't know their pricing, but my wild
guess is 100TB
would be somewhere around $1600/node (50 nodes) which is like $80k..
$1.22 per gigabyte.
If those numbers are accurate, then before
bandwidth/networking/manpower, you're looking
at $4k/month including power and space.