server room - rack spacing - AC

Tim Pozar pozar at lns.com
Tue Aug 23 16:29:02 PDT 2005

Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya tim

Howdy!

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Tim Pozar wrote:
>>Typically 36 inches.
>
> i want 4' ( 48" ) so that i don't bump into the
> adjacent racks behind me

Yup, that is the spacing in our new facility at 200 Paul.   We rarely
get someone or thing that needs it, but we had the space. :-)

> and an extended dell comes out that far too
>
>>Bingo!  Although, I find rack rails are more trouble than they are
>>worth.  Also, just try to get all vendors to agree on the spacing
>>between the front and back rack supports. :-)
>
> double bingo ..
> 	- same goes for whose slides you use will make the
> 	thingie stick out more or less too in addition to
> 	hand room for connecting to the back of the server
> 	that is sticking out
>
>>When you mean 40 to 50 inches deep, then you are not counting the
>>outside dimensions?
>
> the cabinets outside dimension
>
>> If so, take at least 4 to 6 inches off of that
>>depth for how deep the gear can be.
>
> yup  or you leave the back cover off and let it stick out

You may or may not want to do that depending on how your air will flow
through the rack.  For example, if you have computer flooring and forced
A/C then this is not a good idea.

>>>- i'm hoping there's some eia/osha footprint standards
>>
>>Depends on the rack you order.
>
> triple bingo ...
>
> racks/cabiners are made by chatsworth ( the ibm of racks/cabinets )

Uh...  Not sure what you mean by "the IBM of racks", as they don't meet
many standards such as Zone 4 (ie. The Bay Area) earthquake standards
and electrical bonding.

>>We use it for planning our colo deployments at UnitedLayer.
>
> nah... the proint is that we're calcuting our existing systems
> at 10ton AC... but the "server room experts" ( aka real estate
> agents and or interior designers ) wnat to use 500BTU/hr
> as if it was s regular cubicle
>
> - also, the current 4-ton AC that they have allows the server room
>   temp to go over 80F ... at nights ... instead maintaining
>   at 65F

Ya... Not good.  What does it do during the day when the system's
efficiency goes way down with the rising outside temp?

> 	- and i keep telling them it's not a 4-ton ac ..
> 	and at least the real estate agents laughed too
> 	when they say the AC unit
>
> 	- the AC has official looking part# and manufacturer
> 	but if you google for it, it'd show a non-existing
> 	model#  and if you look closely at the AC, it is
> 	a home-brew AC built with spare parts ( imho )

OMG... You are considering these folks?

> - the entertaining part ...
> 	- their "server room experts" are clueless interior
> 	decorators per the google results of their names

I can point you at a number of other places (including us) that will be
much more clueful.  :-)

Good luck.

Tim