server room - rack spacing - AC

Tue Aug 23 15:15:18 PDT 2005

hi ya

thought i'd post here again ... ( for fun )

- we're looking at building out a server room with
  42U cabinets and telco racks

- what is the minimum spacing in front of the racks
  and cabinets to allow the 1Us to be pulled out ??

- their "server room expert" ( aka interior designer at the
  real estate outfit ) wants to use 30" or 39" in front of the
  cabinet, it was fun to google their names to check
  their backgrounds

- some of the dell box is 29" deep plus additional say 6-12"
  of cables and gap so you can hook up to the box that
  is extended out of the cabinet

	- at 39", you cannot stand in front of the cabinet
	and racking things from the sides is too much work
	to hold up 30lb or 100lb rackmounts while you align
	it into the slides

- cabinets are 40" or 50" deep ... which means whatever
  goes inside can be up to 40" long too and will extend
  out of the cabinet by about 40" + clearances for cables
  and adjustments for different types of slides

- i'm hoping there's some eia/osha footprint standards

- we're using 2x 220VAC per rack ... but that too is being
  cut down ...

- we've calculated by counting AC outlets ( P = iv )
  or counting the "power supply wattage"  and came up
  with about 50KW of power of existing systems

- AC tonage:  ( rounded answers )

  BTU/hr = (((I * V )*0.8)/1000) * 3413  ===>> 136,000 BTU/hr

  AC tons = ( BTU/hr ) / 12000 =============>> 10 Ton AC

	and that too is being downgraded to a standard
	4-ton AC ...

c ya
alvin