Musings on hardware prices

Thu Aug 18 14:08:19 PDT 2005

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Michael T. Halligan wrote:

> I'm quoting out a managed services offering for a new customer, with 10
> servers. The specs are 2GB memory,
> dual 400gb sata drives (it's a very low-IO app), dual xeon 2ghz procs..
> Even with a padded estimate on power
> consumption costs, and hosting (before bandwidth) my base costs ends up
> being something like $1200 per month.

$200	generic 2U rackmount case
$250	generic dual-xeon mb
$300	2x Xeon-2G	( Xeon-2.8 @ $250 )
$280	2GB DDR ecc
$600	seagate 300GB sata
$100	misc fanc
-----
$1730  ( cheaper for them to buy hw and rent the fractional ds-3 ?? )
	- add additional custom widget costs as needed

> Is it me, or are we getting old?

nah... price is stable over time ...  its just getting faster and faster

c ya
alvin