server room

Tue Aug 9 00:46:56 PDT 2005

hi ya

a "bait" for discussion:

assume, that we have a 14'x16' server room, and need at least 7 full racks

a) how would you layout the 7 or 8 racks
	( a mix of about 60 machines total )

b) how much AC do you need ? ( i say about 8-10ton minimum )

c) how much power do you need ?

	- we currently use 4x 220vac (all for the *nix cluster )
	- 26x outlets of 110vac presumably 20A circuits

	- i'd double the electrical power capability for the
	move to new facilities

d) i'd keep the gigE cables at 6' or less between the nodes and the switch
   and separate the windoze client boxes from *nix servers onto a
   different and separate switch

e) the 4' dell boxes will need to slide in and out of the 4' (xxxx) racks

(0) == incoming coool air in the open area from ceiling

outgoing hot air and exhaust from PC exiting
	out of the server room thru ceiling

(0) cool air     hotair up and out
  |              ^
  |              |