Candidate statement

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Wed Nov 17 18:35:22 PST 2004

I presented a very short and rather flustered version of this at
October's meeting.  Below is the full text.

What does BayLISA need?
  1) People willing to talk about interesting things
  2) People willing to come hear people talk about interesting things
  3) A place to bring those two groups together on a regular basis
  4) People willing to pay to be a member of a group that deals with #1-3
  5) People willing to deal with all the back-office stuff associated
	with #1-4 (e.g., finances, insurance, communication, sysadmin
	work, etc. -- all the unglamorous stuff)

I want to be one of the people in that last group.

Why would anyone want to do that?  Simple:  Without people doing the
stuff I listed, doing all the other stuff becomes more difficult,
particularly when you try to scale beyond a few people in a restaraunt.

Ok, so why would you want /me/ to do that?  Because, as with any effort,
there are people who think what's being done is cool.  There are people
who think what's being done is cool enough to participate.  And there
are people who think what's being done is cool enough to support through
time, money, and energy.

I've come to the realization that I'm in that last category.  I'm not
particularly qualified to deal with finances, or with insurance, or
other such things.  However, I'm well-qualified to donate my time,
money, and energy to a cause I believe in.

I've paid my BayLISA membership fee.  If you elect me, I'll be better able
to donate my time and energy as well.

If not, I'll still donate my time and energy to BayLISA.  Board
membership just increases the ways in which I may spend that time and
energy.

--
Mark C. Langston                                 The GOSSiP Project
mark at bitshift.org                  http://sufficiently-advanced.net