WAN Replicated Service Availability?

Guy B. Purcell guy at extragalactic.net
Tue Nov 16 23:52:42 PST 2004

On Nov 15, 2004, at 16:37, Rick Reineman wrote:

> How to deploy a series of replicated services (web, ldap and oracle)
> across a wide geographical area with the goal being survivability in
> the event of a significant Internet outage?

F5 has a product, called 3-DNS, that runs on their BigIP load balancers
that does what you're looking for.  A Cisco Distributed Director will,
too, I believe (I'm not a network guy--yet!).  The F5 product is
essentially a special nameserver that knows about the load balancers
it's running on, so can direct traffic appropriately when one of the
balanced networks goes offline.  It can also balance the load between
the various networks, based on several criteria (i.e. it treats the
fail-over as just a special case of the more general problem).

-Guy