Hints/pointers on MRTG for non-traffic SNMP data?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri May 28 09:48:57 PDT 2004

>Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 09:05:10 -0700 (PDT)
>From: David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org>
>To: baylisa at baylisa.org
>Subject: Hints/pointers on MRTG for non-traffic SNMP data?
>Sender: owner-baylisa at baylisa.org

>MRTG is something I've not had occasion to deal with much before...

>Hints or clues?  (Yes, I did look at www.mrtg.org.)

Thank you all for the pointers -- in particular, to RRDtool, which
appears to be far better-suited to the task at hand.

And I'm ashamed to confess that I had failed to take sufficient
advantage of local resources before bothering the list.  From my laptop:

g1-15(4.10-S)[1] apropos rrd
RRDp(1)                  - Attach rrdtool from within a perl script via a set of pipes;
RRDs(1)                  - Access rrdtool as a shared module
mrtg-rrd(1)              - How to use RRDtool with MRTG
rpntutorial(1)           - Reading RRDTool RPN Expressions by Steve Rader
rrd-beginners(1)         - Beginners guide
rrdcgi(1)                - create web pages containing RRD graphs based on templates
rrdcreate(1)             - Set up a new Round Robin Database
rrddump(1)               - dump the contents of an RRD to XML format
rrdfetch(1)              - fetch data from an RRD
rrdgraph(1)              - Create a graph based on data from one or several RRD
rrdinfo(1)               - extract header information from an RRD
rrdlast(1)               - Return the date of the last data sample in an RRD
rrdresize(1)             - alters the size of an RRA and creates new .rrd file
rrdrestore(1)            - restore the contents of an RRD from its XML dump format
rrdtool(1)               - round robin database tool
rrdtune(1)               - Modify some basic properties of a Round Robin Database
rrdtutorial(1)           - Alex van den Bogaerdt's RRDTool tutorial
rrdtutorial(1)           - Tutorial sobre RRDtool por Alex van den Bogaerdt (Traducido al castellano por Jesús Couto Fandiño)
rrdupdate(1)             - Store a new set of values into the RRD
rrdxport(1)              - Export data in XML format based on data from one or several RRD
RRDp(3)                  - Attach rrdtool from within a perl script via a set of pipes;
RRDs(3)                  - Access rrdtool as a shared module
g1-15(4.10-S)[2]

Note, in particular, "rrd-beginners(1)".  :-}

And the rrdtool tutorial at http://www.cuddletech.com/articles/rrd/
appears to be put together reasonably well.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
I do not "unsubscribe" from email "services" to which I have not explicitly
subscribed.  Rather, I block spammers' access to SMTP servers I control,
and encourage others who are in a position to do so to do likewise.