Remote install of solaris on a 220R CORRECTIONS

David M. Dowdle ddowdle at leopard.net
Wed Jun 30 14:39:04 PDT 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Chuck Yerkes wrote:

> Quoting David M. Dowdle (ddowdle at leopard.net):

> I never install EVERYTHING, but will install the one below "everything"
> (do I need drivers for toshiba sparc boxes? no).

I agree, meant to avoid the 'choose-each-package-seperatly' option

> > You need a newer version of solaris 8 to support the 220R. The original
> > (think first year's worth) will install, but it won't be able to boot. The
> > documentation with the 220R should say what REV is required, assuming it
> > wasn't purchased with the box.
>
> Not AFAIR.  I *think* I ran 2.7 and 2.6 even on them.

I was thinking of a Netra T1, everyone's correct, it'lll run 2.7 fine

> > FYI the console connecter is an RJ-48, it's pinout differs from a Cisco or
> > any other rj-48 console connecter I've found. The pinout is avail on
> > SunSolve, buried deeply of course.
>
> !?  RJ45, you mean?  Well, it's a DB25, either way.

RJ-48 is the female end that an RJ-45 plugs into
Again though I was thinking of a Netra T1, everyone's correct, it's a
db-25

> http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/E220R/E220R.html
>
> I'll just note for completeness that Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD and NetBSD
> all boot on the 220..

Ran Debian on one once, just to say I did it, unfortuantly in our
enviroment, we actually got worse performance from linux vs Sularis 8
running the sme product