Remote install of solaris on a 220R

Guy B. Purcell guy at extragalactic.net
Fri Jun 25 11:49:21 PDT 2004

On Jun 24, 2004, at 18:25, David M. Dowdle wrote:

> It's a PITA, especially if you want to try stipping the system down to
> only install the minimums. Don't bother, install everything, then
> uninstall things. You'll save yourself hours of headaches if you don't
> know solaris interdependacnies backwards and forwards.

Actually, Sun has published a "recipe book" entitled, "Minimizing
Solaris..." (sorry--can't recall the complete title right now), as part
of their BluePrints series.  It tells you exactly how to build a fairly
secure, minimized, Solaris server and, most importantly, _why_ to
include certain extra packages and/or to toss certain others.

Oh, and I highly recommend skipping 8 and installing Solaris 9 at this
point:  userland is much better (Sun support for GNU tools!), and
significant improvements in much of the rest.

-Guy