nfs scalability?

lazyevil at yahoo.com lazyevil at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 10:32:23 PDT 2004

Hey y'all,

So.. I'm running a Redhat system w/ a fibre connected DAS pushing out
NFS to > 40 client machines right now.. and we're starting to feel the
performance hits.  I know you've handled this before.. here's what I've
looked at/thought of, I'd love to hear some more ideas..

- nfs tuning: i've been using http://www.iozone.org to tweak
    - nfsd thread count, rmem/wmem sizes, rsize/wsize, etc..
- replacing nfs server w/ better hw
- adding second nfs server connected to DAS, splitting mount points
- switching to TCP - anyone tried this out yet?  on RH-WS3?

I'm tired of writing cron jobs to fix the automounter, and deal with
stale file handles.. its time to upgrade or find something else..

Ciao,

-steve