Remote install of solaris on a 220R

Darren Dunham ddunham at taos.com
Thu Jun 24 21:05:41 PDT 2004

> The console definitions are 'odd', I've never figured out what it thinks
> it is, best I can advise is turn flow control off.

The default term for the console is 'sun', appropriate for a sun
framebuffer, but probably not the terminal emulator.  Changing the
ttymon line in /etc/inittab is probably the easiest way to set it to
something else.

> You need a newer version of solaris 8 to support the 220R. The original
> (think first year's worth) will install, but it won't be able to boot. The
> documentation with the 220R should say what REV is required, assuming it
> wasn't purchased with the box.

The 220R is pretty old and should take any release of 8.  The Sun system
handbook has the minimum requirements.
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/E220R/E220R.html

> FYI the console connecter is an RJ-48, it's pinout differs from a Cisco or
> any other rj-48 console connecter I've found. The pinout is avail on
> SunSolve, buried deeply of course.

The 220R console is just a non-LOM DB-25 (unless someone's added an RSC
card).  The pinouts are on the above page.  Sun RJ-45 should match Cisco
RJ-45 DTE ports.  Tx on 3, Rx on 6.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com

Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com