Imminent Death of BayLISA / July Board Meeting Invitation

Roy S. Rapoport rsr at inorganic.org
Wed Jun 23 18:33:24 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 12:41:22PM -0700, Michael T. Halligan wrote:
> >      If some of you had not noticed, but Goggle is the worst case hear
> > in the valley. They are constantly sending out "ghost jobs."
> >

> >From a friend of mine at Google :
>
> --
> Contrary to popular belief, Google IS actually hiring, we just have
> ridiculously high standards. I myself only got hired because of a
> referral.  If you don't have either a degree, or 2x as much experience as
> the job posting and a half dozen delivered papers/articles to your name,
> don't bother.
> --

A few more notes based on some experience and talking to people who work
there (I do not work at Google, BTW):

1. Google is not likely the kind of company where you can take a look at
the requirements and think "Oh, I can build up to that pretty quickly."
I'm pretty much in that category fairly often -- I've got enough experience
that I tend to consider posted requirements advisory, rather than required.
VPN? Eh.  Done it before, could do it again.  That sort of thing.  Apply
for positions that you think you could do in your sleep;

2. Assume everyone you talk to at Google will be smarter than you (this is
probably a safe assumption anyway);

3. Whatever you do, try to get to eat lunch at their cafeteria as part of
the interview process ("I'm sorry, I'm only available 11am to 3pm.  Can we
roll lunch into this?")  :)

4. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.  If you'd like, I can
show you my first two rejection letters.  I'm working on my third.

-roy