BayLISA -> BayISSA

Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr gwen at reptiles.org
Thu Jun 17 11:42:08 PDT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, richard childers / kg6hac wrote:
> [1]   I don't think I've ever heard of ISSA, so there's no basis for
> such a statement.

Ignorance is not a defence ;>

> [2]   Shared acronyms are only a problem if you're a member of both
> organizations. There is no copyright on acronyms. LISA has no
> obligations to ISSA.

That's fine when you're talking about organizations with radically different
constituant groups and interests, but it fails miserably when you're
talking about organizations that have overlapping memberships and interests.

There are so many overloaded terms and acronymns out there that it doesn't
make sense to deliberately conflict.

> [3]   Personally, I've been administering large installations, and
> system security, since before either organization existed, so I have no
> emotional investment in either acronym; they are both new kids on the
> block, and the block is getting kind of crowded.

Well - you sound like you've got an emotional investment here ;>

> It's no secret that LISA is top-heavy with management who are long on
> politics and short on sharing their (frequently alluded to, but rarely
> displayed) expertise; it's time for a change.

Really? Could you name names? I'm having trouble coming up with any well
known figures that are active with SAGE/LISA that are primarily management
rather than technical.  In fact, the arguement's been made in the past
that some of the issues with SAGE/LISA derive from the folks running it
being non-management types.

cheers!