Imminent Death of BayLISA / July Board Meeting Invitation

Jim Hickstein jxh at jxh.com
Tue Jun 15 13:34:28 PDT 2004

--On Tuesday, June 15, 2004 12:44 -0700 David Wolfskill
<david at catwhisker.org> wrote:

> perspective; it is certainly not a diagnosis.)  And when a person is
> struggling to make ends meet, it can be difficult to allocate resources
> to activities that are not perceived as essential.
>
> So how do we get BayLISA to be perceived as *essential*?

Two comments:

1. I always perceived BayLISA as pretty close to essential to my mental
health; I explained it to third parties as "my support group" in fact.  But
I had a job through all of that, so maybe your point is valid.  If it has
anything to offer along these lines, though, it should be _more_
sought-after these days, not less.  I think a resume workshop is a dandy
idea.  A general bitch session, or more-structured survey about the job
market, would likely also be popular.  In the later years, I went along as
much to gauge the job market as to hear the technical topic.

2. Work on the reality, and the perception will come.  Go out and buy (or
otherwise obtain) a copy of _Marketing Without Advertising_ by Philips et
al, from Nolo Press.  Get over the M word in the title: the message of the
book really is to stick to your knitting, create something of value, don't
waste money on advertising but _do_ get yourself "listed" in the places
where people will look for your service.  And encourage people to refer
their friends to your service.  BayLISA is non-commercial, but these
principles still apply.  Getting our events listed far and wide has always
seemed to be a huge problem, but it really isn't: It just takes someone (a)
knowing what to list far enough in advance, and (b) pushing a few buttons.
And you can always announce a meeting even if the topic and speaker aren't
yet known.

On referrals, how about some testimonials from people who have found jobs
through BayLISA?  I'm afraid I don't remember his (your) name, but one
fellow came to _one meeting_, met Adam Sah, came out to dinner afterward
(very important) and was working for Addamark a week or two later.  I sat
next to this chap at dinner; he was pleasant and engaging, and long-term
unemployed at that moment.  But networking worked, for him; he had a
positive (apparent) attitude, and was actively working this angle.  Maybe
he or someone could give a seminar on how to do this.  Heaven knows
sysadmins as a class aren't naturals at schmoozing this way.  (I still have
to work at it.)  But like any skill it can be learned.

> Would it, perhaps, be useful if BayLISA assisted in some way with
> (re-)training?  Of course, it's easy for me to ask such things:  I tend
> to cope by reacting to others' statements of needs or requirements,
> rather than creating things like lesson plans....  :-{

OK, what training do you have in mind?  There are plenty of for-fee outlets
with books and all that, but I think "master classes", with an extempore
speaker and no money changing hands, could fill a need and be something
that BayLISA is well able to provide.  This could just be the regular
meeting, but called something new.  (Think marketing: List the meetings in
places where people look for training.)

> I better cut this off now.

LOL!   Me, too.  See ya (sort of) at the July 1 meeting.  I live in St.
Paul now, but I still work in this business (more or less), and my employer
is still in Sunnyvale, so I travel there 3 or 4 times a year.  So I can
stay involved somehow, if it's wanted.