recycling Re: throw away (was "Re: Datacenter tools?")

Fri Jun 11 17:24:34 PDT 2004

hi ya

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Jeff With The Big Yellow Suit wrote:

>  > I think it's our responsibility, as the ones who replace the
>  > failed components, to do our level best to get this
>  > stuff recycled.  So, if your data center doesn't have a special
>  > "tech bin" (mine doesn't), educate them & ask for one--and
>  > cart the stuff back to your office for BFI to pick up there in
>  > the meantime.  Please.
>
> An acquaintance of mine runs a junkyard.   His real money maker
> is old electronics.  He sells to them in bulk to Chinese firms which
> extract the precious metals.  As he says, "A little bit of junk is just
> crap.   A whole lot of junk is money."

that's a lot of junk they'd have to ship back to get back some $$$
	- presumably they just want the fingers of the pci cards
	to get the gold out of it

	- they'd probably want the wires to get the copper out of it

	- the case ... tin is too cheap ... might not be worth it??
	and too bulky

	- foxelectronics is the local outfit  that makes $$$ off these
	old junk

- for local recycling ...
	- monitors is a pain in the butt to recycle ... though
	bfi and others seem to take it away and dump at the local
	dump site ( not a good thing )

	- ups batteries ... more of a pain to properly get rid of

	( these are gonna be creating lots of headaches as soon as
	( it starts to find its way to the water supply

	( there are millions more throw away batteries now than before

- recycling 386/486/pentium, 500MB, 1GB disks are good to do too
	( am interested in helping out

	- problem is what to do or where to send the refurb'd boxes

	( these are perfectly still good boxes ... i still run a
	  pentium-90 w/ 48mb of memory

- if exodus, he, other major color create a tech bin, i don't mind
  going around collecting junk and refurbing to give to "the kids" ??
	- it might save a few fish in the bay

- other way to recycle...
	- convert the midtwower/fulltower case to a 2U rackmount case ??

c ya
alvin