Component distributors?

Mon Jun 7 16:37:36 PDT 2004

hi ya michael

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Michael T. Halligan wrote:

> One of my customers currently builds whitebox linux servers, and sells a few
> per month to his customers as a value-added service.  He's currently
> sourcing components through nextag, but I was thinking he could save

buying components from nextag/pricewatch/dealtime is a (very) bad thing:-)
	- i assume you mean mb, disks, cpu, memory, case, etc,etc

	components to most distibutors are resistors, capacitors, 74xx,
	relays, switches  vs wires, cables, harness, etc

> himself some hassles by going through a reseller.. He's got a reseller's
> permit.

if he has a resellers permit, he can buy direct from distributors and
depending on number of different parts, he can easily beat any webstore
prices for "all parts"
	the mom-n-pop webstore might have one part that is super cheap
	to get you into their place, which they might not even stock
 	which you sometimes do NOT know about till after they have
	your credit card info

- if you buy direct from distributors w/ a reseller permit and do NOT
  resell it, you can lose your reseller permit

- always asks a live person, if they have it in stock ( today ), and go
  pick it up ( today ) to see if they have xxx part in stock at $xx.01
  each  ( otherwise, you can buy everything from your favorite distributor
  and get a better pricing from them cause you buy "everything" from them
	- i only care about what they have in inventory ...
	and i go pick it up and sometimes have them ship it
	cause we don't have time to run around the bay area

	- yup, just got back from my daily errands picking up parts

- list of local distributors

	http://www.Linux-1U.net/Distributors

	- some distributors are better than others
	( they know what you want and what they have in stock )

	- some distributors will sell to consumers and people with
	reseller permits ( in general a paperwork nightmare for them )
	- some distributors pricing is better than others
	- some distributors have a (hidden or obvious) online store

	- some big distributors will only talk to you if you have your
	sku part# ... and tell you go away if you tell um you want
	an intel p4-2.8G 800fsb

c ya
alvin