*whimper* NIS kerfluffle

John Martinez rolnif at mac.com
Sat Jul 24 11:27:33 PDT 2004

On Jul 23, 2004, at 7:33 PM, Robert Hajime Lanning wrote:

> This sounds like a possible netmask issue on the network interface.
> Make sure the interface is configured correctly. (ip, netmask,
> broadcast)

One other possibility that I've seen is that your network interface is
experiencing lots of errors. Try netstat -I.

If you see lots or errors, it could be that autonegotiation isn't
working correctly. You may need to hard set it on 10/100 interfaces.
You can do that with ndd. Check out
<http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/816-2348-10?q=hme> for more info, if for
example, you have an hme interface.

The suggestion of net booting is also a good one to try out.

-john