*whimper* NIS kerfluffle

Jeremy Hunt hunt at frostypenguin.net
Sat Jul 24 10:50:00 PDT 2004

On Jul 23, 2004, at 7:00 PM, Mark C. Langston wrote:

>>> To add insult to injury, if I start things up using
>>> /usr/lib/netsvc/ypbind -ypsetme, then follow this with a
>>> /usr/sbin/ypset
>>> <name_of_master>, NIS starts just fine on this misbegotten doorstop.
>>> ypwhich gives the correct info.  ypcat <mapname> works, for any
>>> value of
>>> mapname the server may contain.  In short, NIS works.
>>>
>>> Interestingly, starting ypbind -broadcast sometimes works, sometimes
>>> won't, depending on which slave answers the broadcast first.  They'll
>>> all allow this cheese grater's ypwhich to report the master it's
>>> bound
>>> to, but sometimes ypcat <mapname> will fail with an RPC error.

If nothing else works you might to do a "boot net" if you have a
jumpstart image handy, just to check and make sure running a presumably
clean copy of the OS works as expected. If that doesn't work you might
also want to take a crack at running VTS on the machine. I had a
machine 2 weeks ago that has having random issues with doing LDAP binds
(nope, no NIS) which eventually progressed to other random issues.
After running VTS for 4 days it finally came back and reported the
onboard NIC was bad. After Sun replaced the system board it's been
working like a champ. Well as good as a Sun machine can.

I'm not sure how beneficial the above will be but if you're completely
stuck it definitely won't hurt. Very bizarre though.

Glad to see actual technical discussions taking place on this list. For
a while I thought I was subscribed to flamewars at baylisa.org

-Jeremy