qemu Re: Reliable laptops around $1k?

Dan Bethe dan_bethe at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 24 00:27:33 PDT 2004

--- Deirdre Saoirse Moen <deirdre at deirdre.net> wrote:
> On Jul 23, 2004, at 10:55 PM, Michael T. Halligan wrote:
>
> > So what is the status of being able to run Windows on a MAC? My wife
> > has to run some windows based accounting/HR software, as well as be

I don't know.  You'd have to try it!  Check the screenshots and the mailing
list.

Check tightvnc.com for your remote display needs.  The built-in firewall
hopping via ssh is great.

> > The nice thing about linux x86 is I can always run vmware..

Yeah and you can always run the free qemu for the same functionality.  :)

> There's always virtual PC. I don't run it, but I know many people who
> do.

Yes VirtualPC is technically superior in virtually (ha!) every end-user-visible
way, but very nonfree.  :)  VirtualPC is very polished and with a high degree
of automatic host/guest OS interoperability.  All the same functionality is
achievable with free software although with more manual intervention and
currently at lower performance, but in a technical sense, the sky is the limit.

On another tangent, I have a friend who installed MacOS 10 in 5 hours in the
free PearPC emulator, hosted on Linux for ia32.  And Qemu can even run Wine
(winehq.com) on ppc linux.  Qemu can transparently register foreign Linux
binaries as executable by the host OS via qemu's binary emulation/translation
layer.

btw when i say "free", i mean "software libre".