Reliable laptops around $1k?

Nick Christenson npc at gangofone.com
Fri Jul 23 16:16:37 PDT 2004

> I haven't used a laptop in years.. My experience has always been if it's
> not a thinkpad, it will be a piece of junk..

Hasn't been my experience.  My Toshibas have taken a pounding and done
okay (my Libretto running FreeBSD is still my travel laptop after more
than 7 years of hard service).  The Sonys are nice, but they've been too
fragile for my tastes.  The IBMs are fine, but I've had and heard of problems
putting Linux on some models.

I think the only IBM in the ~$1K range new is the G40, and it's both
BIG and doesn't play all that well with Linux, IIRC.  I could be mistaken,
though.  It has been some time since I've been laptop shopping, thankfully.

> Barring Dell (who I refuse
> to give my business to), what kind of luck have people had within the
> past year in "around a thousand" laptops?  I need to get something for
> my wife, and it has to be pretty reliable, as well as light and having a
> good battery life.. and of course, must run linux well.

Light and reliable and good battery life and around $1K is self-exclusionary
by some reasonable measures of each requirement.  However, I am the owner
of two laptops that may meet many of your requirements.

The first is a Compaq Preseario 2190/US (now the 2100Z series).  Seems
sturdy, cost ~$1K, runs Linux (see
http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/articles/linux-on-compaq-laptop.html),
weighs about 7 lbs. (a bit heavier than I'm guessing you want), Athlon
based, battery life doesn't seem to be awesome, but doesn't truly suck.
I'm satisfied with it.  I use it as terminal around the house and in the
field for wireless testing.

The second is an Apple iBook.  Don't be so quick to reject this idea!
It's 5 lbs., runs OS X or you can put Yellow Dog Linux on it, costs ~$1100,
battery life is pretty good, and seems reasonably sturdy (as long as you
have a recent model without the bad screens).  So, technically, this one
matches everything you asked about... .

Definitely check out:
http://www.linux-laptop.net/
before you buy.  There's some good advice there.

--
Nick Christenson
npc at gangofone.com