BayLISA - July 15, 2004 - Mark Langston's Through a Sniffer Darkly

Jennifer Davis sigje at sigje.org
Thu Jul 22 11:46:03 PDT 2004

> The long and short of it is that the world is full of networks that don't
> have all the right settings.  It's great to to use the terms "reasonable" and
> "best-practice" but that's not how things always work.    There will always
> be a place for the wily hacker, cracker, script-kiddie, worm, rootkit, etc.
> as long as there is an Internet. Don't dismiss things as unworkable, you may
> be reading an article on it in Phrack before you know it...

Yes, which is exactly what impressed me about Mark's presentation.  It
drew on knowledge that I did know regarding firewalls and IDS and expanded
it showing me vulnerabilities that I didn't even think of.  For me it
wasn't so much the software itself, because it was a proof of concept.
Sure, Mark can improve it a lot, but what he did have was enough to take
my understanding of what I needed to be aware of to another level.

Thanks again Mark!

Jennifer