BayLISA - July 15, 2004 - Mark Langston's Through a Sniffer Darkly

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Wed Jul 21 12:30:30 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 02:10:24PM -0500, Jim Hickstein wrote:
> Great write-up!   Thanks, especially from those of us who couldn't be there
> in person.  I hope this turns into a new tradition....

Agreed!  Thanks, Jennifer!

One correction (on my part, not Jennifer's):  The EFF recommendation was
spot on; I don't know what I was thinking of when I mentioned Groklaw,
but it's irrelevant to the point I was making.

As I mentioned onstage, my brain largely shuts down when I give talks.
This is just one such example.

Also (not mentioned by Jennifer, but I brought it up onstage, and it was
wrong), I misspoke when talking about the "watering hole" frequency of
hydrogen.  I said it was 2.4GHz, when in fact it's 1.42GHz.

Finally, the current (dead-tree) newsletter from the SETI Institute has
a wonderful write-up explaining the differences between SETI and
SETI at Home, written by Jill Tarter.  There may also be a version online
at http://www.seti.org/explorer/ .  Those of you interested in how what
we do differs from what SETI at Home attempts are encouraged to read it.
It's more lucid an explanation than I'm capable of.

--
Mark C. Langston            GOSSiP Project          Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark at bitshift.org   http://sufficiently-advanced.net    mark at seti.org