The Illiterati (was Re: Social Hacking [was: "Strong Scripting Skills" - a definition?])

richard childers / kg6hac fscked at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 30 07:28:53 PST 2004

  vraptor at employees.org wrote:

>... I'd like to hear some more geek social/cultural hacking stories and
>techniques, be they engineering your self-presentation, sussing out
>the true inquiries underlying the interviewer's questions, or better
>ways to deal with the bureacracies.  I'm sure all of us could use some
>new tools to put in our bag of tricks for dealing with clients/bosses/
>co-workers (and maybe even spouses/SOs :-).

Speaking directly to Nadine's implied question; how does one
diplomatically, tactfully, yet meaningfully maintain a high level of
technical communications with people who hate to read and write, and
maybe think, too? People who, maybe, need everything translated into
PowerPoint cartoons, before they can give it their (apparently limited)
attention?

Put another, more diplomatic, way ... how do you deal with managers who
want short one-line emails?

Where did this idea - that things can be expressed in single sentences -
come from? Haven't these people ever heard of paragraphs ... chapters
... section headings ... indexes?

My guess is that it was born in some management seminar on time
management; it was slavishly copied by the subordinates ... and
frequently quoted, as a put-down, to their subordinates, all the way to
the lowest rungs of the mighty corporate ladder.

In many ways it makes good sense ... if one reads slowly, that is ... or
doesn't like to read, or write, in general.

Such characteristics are generally associated with people whom we might
charitably describe as illiterate. Are these people illiterate? I'm not
being derogatory; I ask the question sincerely.

How do these people achieve these positions of power? Is there some sort
of conspiracy? Yes .... but it is a conspiracy of circumstances ... with
more duncery, than skulduggery.

The fact is that the owners of a company are inevitably non-technical.
This lack of technical expertise often translates into a (usually well
concealed) suspicion towards someone whom -is- technical.

When technical failures occur, the explanations delivered are rarely to
the satisfaction of management. This tendency towards dissatisfaction
leads directly towards replacing the technical management, or the
technical management resigning, in search of friendlier people to report to.

When the time comes for the manager to be replaced, the owners and
executives vastly prefer to have someone like themselves reporting to
them. This leads directly to what we shall call an ossification of the
technical management, with literate people being replaced with slightly
less literate people.

This process can and usually is applied successively to each layer of
management, downwards, from where it starts, until there is no one left
in the IT department but people whom are adept at summarizing complex
technical situations into one-line summaries, usually something like "I
fixed it", and maybe one or two clueless, serially abused, and seriously
burnt-out technical staff.

Because there is (in worst case scenarios) no understanding of the
problem on either side, the situation is ripe for misrepresentation,
finger-pointing, and fraud.

(It's also ripe for consulting and outsourcing opportunities.)

*Note*: I am not referring to people whose technical expertise is
lacking, but whose desire for understanding is still alive. This is not
about a lack of technical literacy; it's about an ability to receive and
generate large amounts of information in an increasingly complex
society, in general, and in increasingly complex business organizations,
in particular.

I recently suggested to a VP of IT that things charged so quickly that a
yearly IT budget simply wasn't possible, any more, for many
organizations. (How much data will -you- need to back up next year?)

He got a thoughtful look on his face ... and I suspect he'll repeat it
to the board.

Maybe this idea needs to be aired more widely.

Imagine if you were a car owner, and you went in to the shop to pick up
your car, and the owner said, "I fixed it; that'll be $500." You'd have
some questions, right?

You'd think poorly of a shop where you asked to speak to the owner, or
the manager, to get a better idea of what had happened ... and s/he
said, "I don't know what they did, but they fixed it, 'cuz it's not
happening no more, right?".

 You might hesitate to return there, fearing the consequences; and
surely you'd wonder if they -had- fixed it, or if they'd just tapped the
engine with a ball peen hammer until the noise stopped, in some voodoo
imatation of engineering.

And you might suspect worse; although a certain percentage of such
voodoo engineers might be sincerely trying to help you, using the best
technology available (to them), this state of affairs would quickly
attract much more vicious and predatorial types, whom would
unhesitatingly take maximum advantage of every situation they were
involved in where a lack of understanding afforded an opportunity to
manipulate the perceptions of all involved, to their own direct benefit.

(Hence the term, 'perception manager', as a derogatory reference to
managers of technical resources ... whose collective reliance upon
managing -perceptions-, instead of technical issues ... and consequent
refusal to put things in writing [IE, use email to create business
records of business decisions] ... are probably the single greatest
threat to business integrity, today, bar none.)

(Investors, take note.)

(We manfully resist the urge to draw parallels between this metaphorical
situation and certain dot-com related events your author is acquainted
with. Perhaps others will fill the gap. :-)

Regards,

-- richard

--

Richard Childers / Senior Engineer