"Strong Scripting Skills" - a definition? - sunday

Roy S. Rapoport rsr at inorganic.org
Tue Jan 27 14:50:57 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 01:37:41PM -0800, Robert Hajime Lanning wrote:
> >> defang  7665   212  0 07:03:02 ?        0:14 /bin/perl -w mimedefang.pl
> >> -server
> >>
> >> This is the problem with choosing a field.  Hint, look at the process
> >> start time.  This maybe avoided with options to ps, I haven't looked.
> >> This is "ps -ef" on Solaris.  The Linux "ps auxw" and "ps -ef" the
> >> start time would be "Oct31", so, it is not an issue there.

This is why, when I had to do this on solaris, I wrote my own program that
just accessed the /proc filesystem.  Actually, it was really rather
anti-social.  It:
A) nice -20'ed
B) Killed the right processes (most of the time :) )
C) Exited.

In other words, my answer to "how would you script this?" was "no." :)

-roy