"Strong Scripting Skills" - a definition? - sunday

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Mon Jan 26 09:04:17 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 08:21:13AM -0800, Roy S. Rapoport wrote:
[...]
> I find that people with strong scripting skills (my definition of the
> world) are the sort of people who aren't going to be going "holy cow, how
> do I get *that* done?," but are the sort of people who can say "yeah, it'll
> probably take chaining these commands together."  If they don't know the
> exact syntax -- whatever.  That's what man pages are for.
>
> Oh, and portability is for, umm, heterogeneous systems.  It's not required
> (and if you're not designing for a heterogeneous system, I tend to think it
> can be a bad thing).

That's when they dimly recall:
uname=`uname`
if [ $uname == 'Linux' ]; do
	psargx = fghfghfgh
elsif [ $uname == 'Solaris' ]; ...

(Sorry, I haven't shell scripted much in the past few years, and even
then I spend most of my time looking up the appropriate
is-it-sh-or-csh-thank-G!d-it-aint-ksh syntax.)

-danny