Social Hacking [was: "Strong Scripting Skills" - a definition?]

Jeff Younker jeff at drinktomi.com
Tue Feb 3 12:47:02 PST 2004

> My own "hacking" has lately focused on revising my understanding of
> successful resumes (having taught tech writing in the late 80's, I
> knew I was out of date).  If enough folks are interested, I can post
> some brief comments regarding resume tuning.  Or, perhaps some "rules"
> I coined for myself from dealing with HR at a past job.

A friend of mine told the following story this weekend.   She had
been looking for a job for about six months.  She'd been spending
hour upon hour upon hour sending out resumes to likely places.
She had milked her social networks for everything they were
worth.  She had even taken a job as a mechanic's apprentice
to lower her burn rate.

Finally she changed the subject line of the resumes she
was emailing out.  She changed the subject from 'Java
coder...yada yada yada' to 'American Citizen. Canadian
trained engineer. Suma cum laude.'

Within one day she had six responses.  Four of those
yielded interviews, and she had a job within a week.

-jeff