Report of collision-generation with MD5

Jordan Johnson jorjohns at cs.indiana.edu
Thu Aug 19 13:56:06 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, August 18, 2004, at 07:23  PM, Hal Pomeranz wrote:
> I've been pondering setting up a DES hash to cleartext password
> web-based
> lookup service.  It'd be a cool distributed computing/database project.
> Figured I register it under "death-to-des.org" or something...

(Disclaimer: this may be my ignorance speaking--I'm a teacher, and
sysadmin only "on the side"...)  Is this not the idea behind "rainbow
table"-based cracking?  I think I saw a website that purported to offer
just that, with several restrictions on password (size, maybe content,
not sure which algorithm it was).

Or is _DES_ the significant part of your idea?

jmj

--
"In this era of big brains, anything that can be done will be done - so
hunker down." -- Kurt Vonnegut