Report of collision-generation with MD5

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Wed Aug 18 10:42:34 PDT 2004

>Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:32:38 -0700
>From: "Mark C. Langston" <mark at bitshift.org>
>To: baylisa at baylisa.org
>Subject: Re: Report of collision-generation with MD5
>Sender: owner-baylisa at baylisa.org

>Worse, they suspect a possible collision in SHA1 as well.

Right -- though at present, that's merely a suspicion, vs. demonstrated
problem.

>I think we're beginning to see the possibility that entropy generation
>and cryptography will never truly be secure; it's just that we can
>invent complexity faster than we can explore and/or explain it, so
>showstopping bugs are always lagging deployment.

Could well be, though I expect there'd be at least one PhD thesis in
attempts prove or disprove the notion.

>I'm waiting for the first quantum crypto crack to be announced. ;)

But not holding your breath, I see....  :-)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Evidence of curmudgeonliness:  becoming irritated with the usage of the
word "speed" in contexts referring to quantification of network
performance, as opposed to "bandwidth" or "latency."