Hams Report 85-mile 802.11b File Transfers @ Oregon

Roy S. Rapoport rsr at inorganic.org
Wed Apr 14 15:47:52 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 05:37:58PM -0400, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> - and *know* that WEP (and now LEAP) are deeply broken and shouldn't
>   be used for auth or encryption anyway.
>
> And act accordingly.  IPSec works fine on my laptops.  And Windows, too.
> Even PPTP beats WEP.

Oh, and a minor note:  GMail (Google's email service) supports HTTPS*.

-roy

* Better than Yahoo, at least -- you log in, it drops you into an HTTP URL.
Change that HTTP URL to https and it works; more importantly, if you log
out once you've done this, when you log back in it'll drop you into an
HTTPS URL.  This is nice.  Less nice is the fact that if you close your
browser, next time you log in it'll drop you into http again; I've got a
feature request in asking for them to allow "always keep me in SSL" as an
option.