Advice wanted regarding setting up WiFi

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Apr 2 09:58:06 PST 2004

>Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 11:02:33 -0600
>From: Jim Hickstein <jxh at jxh.com>
>To: David Wolfskill <david at catwhisker.org>
>cc: baylisa at baylisa.org, bill at wards.net
>Subject: Re: Advice wanted regarding setting up WiFi

>> As far as I know -- and I do review various logs, including the logging
>> of DHCP requests, daily -- I have yet to have seen a problem.  Then
>> again, the street in front of my house is not conducive to someone being
>> relatively inconspicuous while parked there, trying to hack my net.  :-}

>Who says they have to be near your house?  Remember the BayLISA meeting
>where we heard about "wardriving" with a directional antenna from the tops
>of the hills?

Note that from the onset, I maintain that the exercise is a matter of
reducing probabilities:  You will not stop a sufficiently resourceful
and determined cracker (by definition :-}).

Also note that I provided empirical observations.  :-}

The upshot is that there tend to be rather more attractive targets than
my net.  :-)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
I do not "unsubscribe" from email "services" to which I have not explicitly
subscribed.  Rather, I block spammers' access to SMTP servers I control,
and encourage others who are in a position to do so to do likewise.