subdomain delegation for email routing

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Fri Sep 26 22:16:17 PDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:04:32PM -0700, afactor wrote:
[...]
> Unfortunately management prefers not to go this route. They do not
> have any qualms about delegating a newly created subdomain to the
> outside vendor just for the purpose of delivering this email. While
> the company is fairly large (national, retail, 100 stores, etc.) I
> don't believe they have configured any subdomains in their dns
> namespace.
[...]

Hrmmm.

I think we need to not lose track that there are two seperate issues
here.

Issue 1:  Is afactor not doing a great job of reverse-engineering what
really needs to be done and then selling it to management, or is he
being wise in reverting to the inelegant solution of doing what the
people who pay him think they want done?

Yes, there are "better" solutions that have been suggested, like
replacing his corporate e-mail infrastructure with Linux, or
provisioning a cheap (spare?) MX box that takes incoming corporate mail,
and forwards it off to the appropriate mail hosts.  Yay, these are
elegant solutions that will make afactor feel like more of a stud with
his infrastructure, but his overlords don't want that, and delegating
out the subdomain and passing the buck to the other company is a lot
easier than re-jiggering architecture.

Issue 2:  Will afactor's technical solution work, however silly you
think it is?

I haven't been following any of this too closely, but as far as I can
tell, y'all can address afactor's technical concerns, and then he can go
an delegate out his subdomain, and get back to the real business of not
getting too bent out of shape over other people's intractable problems.

2c.

-danny