subdomain delegation for email routing

Hans Jacobsen hans at whitties.org
Thu Sep 25 20:55:28 PDT 2003

It is very possible to create a subdomain,  to sub-delegate the subdomain,
and have email delivered directly to the outside vendor.

Once you delegate, you have _no_ control or other records.  If you delegate
the domain care.company1.com to ns.webservice.com, then ns.webservice.com
has to have the MX entry for care.company1.com.

If company webservice.com is cooperative, subdelegation can work.  However,
company1.com could just have an MX entry for care.company1.com pointing at
mail.webservice.com - the entry below - without the sub-delegation.

The true nature of the problem that must be solved is not clear from your
email.  The response time appears to be the problem.  It is unclear to me
how changing the email path fixes that from the information given.  And who
is it a problem for?  company1.com?  If the email does not get to
company1.com first, then how will company1.com know how slow webservice.com
is in forwarding the emails appropriately?

-hej
Hans Jacobsen

At 04:38 PM 9/25/2003 -0700, Alan Factor wrote:

>I have a client (company1.com) who has customers send email to several
>special email accounts (such as customer service which goes to
>care at company1.com). These emails are processed along with all other
>corporate email by the corporate mail server and then forwarded to an
>outside vendor (webservice.com) that handles these special email accounts.
>A backup copy is made and kept by company1.com and the original is
>forwarded to the vendor (e.g., to company1-cs at webvendor.com) and the
>vendor responds to the email. Unfortunately average response times are 48
>hours.
>
>My client wants to have the customer service email delivered directly to
>the outside vendor and I suggested that they create a subdomain
>care.company1.com and delegate this subdomain to the vendor:
>
>care.company1.com IN  NS  ns.webservice.com
>care.company1.com IN  MX  mail.webservice.com
>
>The vendor can forward email from care.company1.com to the appropriate end
>user and then forward a backup copy to company1 (e.g., backup.company1.com) .
>
>Is this possible?
>What DNS config is required?
>Are there any pitfalls/better ways?
>
>Thanks,