"Impressive" datacenters in SF?

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Fri Sep 19 22:35:53 PDT 2003

Ideally peninsula or up.. There are always earthquake factors to worry
about, but in the end, if the excrement hits the fan I don't want to
be an hour-2 hours away from my datacenter.. It's funny, above.net &
hurricane electric are alright facilities, but their newest facilities
are probably in the worst locations imaginable in terms of busy highways
during the day. Life would just be easier if above.net hadn't closed down
their SF colo.

eXchange is the one near candlestick park.  I actually host a bunch of
my customers there (it's in my neighborhood so to speak).. but their
facilities are definately tier 2, and their security procedures are a
joke..  The security guys will just buzsz you into the colos if you don't
have your card, and say "hey, I left my card at home", without ID. The
facilities are fine though, and the sales people are great.. Most of
the other places I've hosted in over the past few years, exodus, level3,
he, etc..  You had to beg and bribe the TAMS to pick up their phones..
The people @ xchangecolo actually make it a point to call me and see if
I'm happy, that means a lot. Unfortunately, a security based company I'm
contracting for has a lot of interest from banks and law enforcement, so
we're doing a LOT of "appearance of security" work..

--
Michael T. Halligan