What OS & mail client do -you- use?

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Mon Oct 27 17:25:39 PST 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:15:51AM -0800, Mark C. Langston wrote:
> And as far as "integration" goes, when you can "integrate" the
> behavior of a mail reader running on a box via ssh in another
> (room|city|continent) with the GUI web browser running on the
> desktop from which I'm connecting to the remote host to read mail,
> I might be tempted to care about it.  Until then, cut and paste
> work just as well, if not better, than a mouseclick (particularly
> since one's brain is more likely to process what is about to be
> requested by the browser before the request occurs).

I too use mutt, both locally on my workstation at work and remotely through
ssh to said workstation.  I find it's threading and searching capabilities
unparalleled in the MUA landscape.

It is handy, though, to be able to pick a url out of a message -- for that,
I have ^u bound to pipe a message to urlview, which detects and displays the
url's in the message.  From there, I can pick a URL to display, which is
passed to my url_handler.sh script.  That script runs:

   "/usr/bin/netscape -remote 'openURL($URL)'"

...either on my work machine, or home machine via ssh, depending on my
$DISPLAY variable.

This is especially handy for long url's that wrap.

And BTW, I would run screaming into the night if someone tried to turn my
mail client into a web browser.  (I do believe the gentleman who wants to
send me HTML to read in my mail client has way too much time on his hands.)

 -Scott