What OS & mail client do -you- use?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Oct 27 16:20:41 PST 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:41:23 -0600
Jim Hickstein <jxh at jxh.com> wrote:

>>> Use to be exmh (I miss exmh: it won't do IMAP).

>> Aye, I like the benefits of IMAP, but have never been able to
>> persuade myself that leaving nmh/exmh/MH-E/mew just to get IMAP would
>> be anything but a losing trade.

> Wellllllll.......  I once whined about this ("why doesn't somebody
> make exmh do IMAP?"), and came away with the impression that the best
> minds in the world had looked at it, and decided "no bid".

Quite, as exmh isn't a mail app, but is just a shell over MH/nmh, the
level of work required would be roughly equivalent to writing a new MUA.

> A couple of colleagues of mine have concieved of a new IMAP client
> library (replacing the spaghetti in the UW c-client), which would do
> most of the hard work of managing a local cache -- which is what
> disconnected mode needs -- and of course the server connections.  And
> then hacking the tcl/tk to talk to it might be within reach.  Nothing
> is firm, yet, except my determination.

Have a look at the degree to which MH assumes a local file store in the
MH format, and that thus exmh assumes and explicitly relies on the same
thing.  I used to think it would be easy to move it over as well.  Then
I started looking at it in detail.

The exmh lists are recommended:  exmh-[a-z]*@redhat.com

--
J C Lawrence