What OS & mail client do -you- use?

Mark C. Langston mark at bitshift.org
Mon Oct 27 11:15:51 PST 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 08:49:15AM -0800, richard childers / kg6hac wrote:

> If one considers inline HTML, and 16-bit character sets, as equally
> obnoxious, visually speaking - as viewed through the filter imposed by
> the use of a baroque mail client that relies upon all messages
> containing only messages composed of American 7-bit ASCII characters -
> then, it seemed to me, the future was obnoxious.
>
> If, on the other hand, one bowed gracefully to the inevitable, and began
> evaluating GUI-based mail clients that handled multilingual
> communications properly, instead of rejecting information as garbage,
> then the future was less problematic.

óíéüöä

...and so forth, brought to you by FreeBSD, mutt, screen, vim, the
key CTRL, the key SHIFT, and the key K.  No HTML required, no
GUI needed.

And as far as "integration" goes, when you can "integrate" the
behavior of a mail reader running on a box via ssh in another
(room|city|continent) with the GUI web browser running on the
desktop from which I'm connecting to the remote host to read mail,
I might be tempted to care about it.  Until then, cut and paste
work just as well, if not better, than a mouseclick (particularly
since one's brain is more likely to process what is about to be
requested by the browser before the request occurs).

--
Mark C. Langston                                    Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark at bitshift.org                                       mark at seti.org