What OS & mail client do -you- use?

richard childers / kg6hac fscked at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 27 08:49:15 PST 2003

What OS & mail client do -you- use?

To the degree that this is an issue faced by the entire community, and
to the degree that we are the experts to whom others look for answers,
perhaps we should be answering this question, instead of quibbling about it.

Having perused the rants and raves on this topic, I'd be interested in
knowing who uses what, and why.

However, to cut to the chase, it seems like a no-win situation at this
point in history; it's not clear to me that there is any one client that
will make everyone happy.

For a long time I used /usr/ucb/mail. I never used the folder option,
but I modified my .mailrc extensively and maintained it over a ten year
span or so, with occasional reliance on /usr/bin/mail.

More recently I've been using Netscape's products. Netscape's products
are available across many platforms and for that reason are attractive
to me, as a heterogeneous, bleeding edge kind of guy.

It's not possible at this point in time to conduct business with the
world at large without having access to a Microsoft platform, with which
to compose and review documents in the traditionally accepted rich text
format of the late 20th century, which is Microsoft Word ... not, that
is, unless one insists on only doing business with zealots of a similar
stripe, that is.

There are alternatives, of course. Rich Text Format, or RTF. HTML,
although it has been getting stretched out of shape, lately, and is no
longer merely a hypertext-enabled markup language, is another Open Standard.

Most recruiters and contracting firms will accept any one of these three
formats - RTF, HTML, or MS Word's proprietary '.doc' format (which, I
think, was originally based on RTF).

It would be nice to have close integration between the mail and web
clients, just in case someone sent me a URL. I might have seen an
implementation of mutt(1) that did this, but that may be the only case
where a text-based mail client and GUI-based web client were tightly
integrated that I know of.

I recall, during this period, seeing a lot of inline HTML in the
messages I was receiving, and having come to the conclusion that, just
perhaps, command-line mail clients would soon be a thing of the past ...
useful for diagnosing problems and automating log delivery, but not
something that people would choose to use, in most circumstances.

I put a lot of thought into this. It was at this time that I started
thinking about the implications of font availability. And the fact is
that everyone else in the world is using a 16-bit font except for here
in the  States. Every one of those special characters - umlauts, tildes,
accent grave, etc - are based on either extensions to the 8-bit ASCII
standard, or a 16-bit standard.

One such standard is UniCode. UniCode is supported by FreeBSD and most
other operating systems, and applications, today.

If one considers inline HTML, and 16-bit character sets, as equally
obnoxious, visually speaking - as viewed through the filter imposed by
the use of a baroque mail client that relies upon all messages
containing only messages composed of American 7-bit ASCII characters -
then, it seemed to me, the future was obnoxious.

If, on the other hand, one bowed gracefully to the inevitable, and began
evaluating GUI-based mail clients that handled multilingual
communications properly, instead of rejecting information as garbage,
then the future was less problematic.

I'm still concerned about cross-platform availability, portability of
the data, and compliance of the mail client with existing mail directory
standards.

I've been looking into Opera recently; I understand it has a mail
client, as well.

Eudora is also attractive for its support of encryption, however, it is
not, to the best of my knowledge, an Open Source product any more.

What is your experience?

-- richard

Richard Childers / Senior Engineer
Daemonized Networking Services
https://www.daemonized.com
(415) 759-5571

PS: It's interesting to consider the explosion of spam in the past few
years in a military context; has it ever been considered by anyone that
this is actually a subtle attack on the United States' citizens' ability
to communicate with one another, and a deliberate attempt to sow seeds
of mistrust ... incidentally, crippling the ability of citizens to
quickly communicate and organize themselves?

Do you know -anyone- who would buy most of the crap you see being
supposedly sold?

(Note comments below regarding 'disabling and crippling support'; if a
hypothetical enemy of the state were actually bringing about this state
of affairs for their own reasons, they couldn't ask for better
cooperation from the citizens then they are getting, today.)

-- richard