HTML. Don't Do This. What ... & Why?

richard childers / kg6hac fscked at pacbell.net
Sun Oct 26 12:50:51 PST 2003

"Come on, Richard, you're not that dense."

I humbly admit that I am not that dense.

However, others are, I expect.

If I ask questions that seem stupid it is because I want to elicit
better answers.

Or is that stupid?

The whole question of estimating another's intelligence is not easy.
Particularly for highly intelligent people, where there is a tendency to
underestimate everyone else's intelligence until proven otherwise.

I guess it was Paul Vixie who said - obviously quoting someone much
older and wiser than he is, as, at the time, Paul had not yet had
children, and did not know any five-year-olds - that if one couldn't
explain it to a five-year-old, that one probably didn't understand it
oneself.

Although Paul used it as a[n] [intellectually elitist] put-down, at the
time, I discerned the kernel of truth within, and have kept this truth
close at hand when writing documentation, instructions ... and email to
uppermost, and non-technical, management.

(Who was this older and wiser person? Based on information and belief, I
think it was Brian Reid, Paul Vixie's mentor, and the person who gave
him a chance to assume responsibility for maintaining -existing- DNS
source code, within DEC's Western Research Lab [aka decwrl.uucp]. But, I
digress.)

The fact is that I recall search engines existing before the META tag
was invented ... I remember when search engine results could be hacked
by inserting a lot of keywords into the comments, I remember pages where
there were orders of magnitude more comments then there was HTML, just
to spam the search engines ...

(... Such as the web page of that group of people [all web page
programmers], inhabiting a large mansion in Southern California, a
saucer cult, who all killed themselves, back in the mid-1990s ... to go
join the spaceship hiding behind the comet, the one that had come to
take them away, you know. But, again, I digress; I cite them simply as
an example of The Way Things Were.)

I expect things will continue changing.

In order to keep people from getting confused, it is necessary to be
specific ...

-- richard