SBA

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Fri Oct 24 13:55:49 PDT 2003

Caveat:  My experience with SCORE and the other folks at
the SJ Entrepeneur center was not for anything other than
remotely connected to technology (retail store).

SCORE folks are hit or miss, depending on what you are trying
to do.  Remember, SCORE = "Service Corps of Retired Executives",
so some of them are only used to working on a large scale.
Having said that, and keeping it in mind, you can generally
glean good info for your own situation.

As for the SJ Entrepeneur Center, I took a couple of their free
classes--that was how I found my accountant (he was teaching),
and through him a referral to two different lawyers.  From
what I could tell, they have a very good staff, committed to
helping small businesses.

The SBA holds a short seminar on getting funding to start
your business which I found pretty enlightening. (As in,
"Why didn't I got to this before I started my business?")

The classes and services are, at the very least, excellent
opportunities to network.  The bottom line, however, falls
to you--getting your planning done first (including an exit
strategy) before committing any significant investment.
"Significant" means different things depending on your
risk tolerance.

Lest I discourage too many with my sad story, let's just
leave it at "BTDT".  Anyone need a UNIX sys admin/help desk
manager?

If anyone would like to talk to me about class specifics,
etc., of the SJEC, drop me an email off-list.

=Nadine=