Software for backups

Sam'l Bassett samlb at samlb.ws
Thu Oct 23 14:11:41 PDT 2003

On Thursday 23 October 2003 1:53 pm, Chuck Yerkes wrote:

> And I really really like NetApps for user files when feasable.
> I've played restore monkey plenty of times (it's rarely not
> urgent). I'd used NetApps a lot in applications that needed
> shared storage and don't deal with users much these days.

	And we at NetApp are Partners with Veritas (and Legato, and . . .), and are
behind the NDMP  ( Http://www.ndmp.org ) movement -- 3-way backups and all.

> So when *I* did the stupid thing and accidentally did the ol'
> "rm *" from the wrong dir and ran to our IT guys and was told
> ~/.snapshot.$SOMETHING and do it yourself, I was delighted.

	<Large Grin>

	To be fair:  We're not cheap -- you can buy NAS for less than we sell it, but
you don't get the 24x7x365 service, automatic dispatch of replacement disks,
or SAN from them.  YMMV.

Sam Bassett -- Technical Global Advisor
Network Appliance
http://www.netapp.com