Software for backups - ms

Thu Oct 23 01:13:11 PDT 2003

hi ya david

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, David Wolfskill wrote:

> At my workplace, one of the things I need to implement is backups (and
> demonstrate an ability to perform restores).  I'm somewhat familiar
> with the general issues -- it's something I've dealt with since about
> 1988.  And I have a copy of W. Curtis Preston's _Unix Backup and
> Recovery_, and I have started reading it.  :-}

best way to backup data from ms machines..
	- have "management" enforce the rule that any data in
	"My Documents" folder is backed ...

	- all other data on the windoze box is eraseable
	( already on the MS cdrom )

2nd best way to backup data from ms machines
 	- have windoze users drag-n-drop their data/files into their
	"network-shared-home-directory" on the FreeBSD box

	- 2nd best because they will always claim to have backed up
	their sales projections, sales agreements and other important
	corp data files

Management should have a policy :

	- if the users work is not backed up onto the corp backup servers,
	than they are considered not working, being productive

- it will always be an issue
	management-asking-windoze: yes, i did back it up

	management0asking-admin:  but than, where is the files you say you
		backed up

	"backups" has to be automated ... and admins just make sure
	that daily backup files exists and are restorable daily

BackupServer:
	- automount the windoze box with samba
	- backup "my documents"
	- umount the windoze box

more backup fun ( collection of free scripts/apps )
	http://www.Linux-Backup.net

	- backups should be encrypted files :-)

c ya
alvin