RedHat Advanced Server licensing?

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Wed Oct 22 21:47:34 PDT 2003

I was wondering if anybody has done anything with AS? I've got a copy of it I purchased
a few months ago for an oracle server built for a customer who backed out of the deal..

I use it to run some of my internal servers.. The licensing was never clear.. It seems
to me that everything in it is GPL, and the extra features are just really tools for
some of the redhat developed tools like tux, piranha, redhat cluster manager, etc.. All
of the programs appear to be GPL though..

So it seems to me the only licensing issue is if I use it on other servers that aren't
"licensed", I'm not breaking licensing terms, it's just not supported.  I'm asking
because all of the docs that came with it have long since been lost, and all I have
are the original cds and a purchase receipt.. It's been less than easy to get somebody
@ redhat to respond to my calls/e-mails about this.

Michael T. Halligan
Chief Geek
Halligan Infrastructure Designs.