Peninsula Linux Users' Group meets tomorrow 7-9pm @ Oracle

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Wed Oct 22 10:13:15 PDT 2003

You are invited to attend this month's meeting of PenLUG, the Peninsula
Linux Users' Group, Thursday October 23, 2003, from 7-9pm.  We meet at
the Oracle headquarters in Redwood Shores, just south of San Mateo.
Address: 100 Oracle Parkway, Redwood City, CA 94065 (room 1op104).

For directions, see our website at http://www.penlug.org/ or reply to
this email.  RSVP (optional, but appreciated) to rsvp at penlug.org if
you plan to attend.  If you need carpool help, email carpool at penlug.org.

Here is the agenda for the meeting:

 7:00pm - 7:30pm   Peter Corless, "Fence Sitters & Network Effects"
 7:30pm - 8:30pm   Peter Thoeny, "Web Collaboration with TWiki"
 8:30pm - 9:00pm   App of the Month Club: Emacs and Xemacs

Detailed information about each of these items follows.

Note: For the next two meetings, we will be switching to the 2nd
Thursday of each month in order to avoid conflicts with Thanksgiving
and Christmas.  We plan to resume meeting on the 4th Thursdays in
January.  Our November meeting will be on Thursday, Nov. 13.  We still
need speakers for the next few meetings, so send your ideas to
speakers at penlug.org.

"Fence Sitters & Network Effects" by Peter Corless
Linux was hot.  Then it was not.  Then it was hot again.  What is
responsible for people to leap lemming-like to unproven technologies
at one moment, and then at others avoid tried-and-true rock-solid
products?  A Linux "outsider" gives his views on the Linux phenomenon.
There are legions of declared Linux supporters who are still only
potential users at the edge of the dance floor. What keeps them from
getting into the mix?  Perhaps the voice of an outsider might bring a
different perspective to those who are too close to the solution to
see the real problem.

"Web Collaboration with TWiki" by Peter Thoeny
Knowledge-intensive companies are faced with challenges of how to keep
Intranet content up-to-date, and how to best share knowledge among
teams.  TWiki is an Open Source, web-based collaboration platform
addressing these questions.  It is developed in large part by our
speaker, Peter Thoeny, who explains what it is, its history, how it is
used, and how you can get involved with TWiki in order to enable your
teams to be better informed and to be more productive.

App of the Month Club: Emacs and Xemacs
Last month we did vi and vim, so we decided it was only fair to give
Emacs a turn.  Come share your favorite Emacs tips and tricks.  But
let's not get into an argument about which editor is better, just how
to make the most of Emacs or Xemacs.