On Securing Call Centers

richard childers / kg6hac fscked at pacbell.net
Sat Oct 18 08:28:09 PDT 2003

Reading this description of the secret call center, I cannot help but
wonder:

- What protections are being taken against telephone taps?
- Have you secured your telephone switch and do you trust your
provider?    [1]
- Have you secured the telecommunications cables leaving the building?
- Are you using fiber, where possible, instead of copper?
- How will you stop cleaning staff from installing listening devices?
- Have you tested the room and building for EMF transparency (Van Eck)?
- What's roof access like?
- What's beneath the building, in terms of navigable tunnels?
- Does your building share any walls with any other buildings?

And last but not least:

- What's to stop someone from kidnapping an employee (or cleaning person)?

You may want to consider a shuttle bus for your employees, too.

And, now that I think of it, a determined call center employee could
still bring in a digital pocket tape recorder, or, even worse, a cell
phone ... strip searches may be indicated ...

[1] "In recent years, the FBI and other government agencies have
investigated Amdocs more than once.  The firm has repeatedly and
adamantly denied any security breaches or wrongdoing.  But sources tell
Fox News that in 1999, the super secret national security agency,
headquartered in northern Maryland, issued what's called a Top Secret
sensitive compartmentalized information report, TS/SCI, warning that
records of calls in the United States were getting into foreign hands
..." (See complete story at
http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/Israeli-Spying-Part-2.htm)

Food for thought (and fodder for others' cannons, I suppose),

-- richard

Richard Childers / Senior Engineer
Daemonized Networking Services
https://www.daemonized.com