?? Re: Free IT Training at UCSC-Extension - humm

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Thu Oct 9 10:36:32 PDT 2003

Dave--

NOVA has two sides, the business support side and the side w/
programs for the unemployed.  The program that was posted to
BayLISA is funded by grants to the business support side.  I
don't know if there is a way to get that sort of training
after hours.

I can speak to the issue of training/re-training funds for
the unemployed, having recently started down this path.
If you are without a job, you can often get training even if
you do/did not qualify for UI.  These programs are all funded
by the Workforce Investment Act.  However, the grants are
administered by different groups.

The NOVA Connect! shop in Sunnyvale for job seekers is very
good.  I was quite heartened to find such a caring and
supportive group of career counselors working there.  If you
live in their area of coverage (Sunnyvale, Mt. View, Cupertino,
and others), it's highly likely an unemployed person will
qualify for re-training (especially if they are in IT).
They can also help you, no matter where you are residing,
if you are currently receiving UI.

However, being a resident of San Jose and not eligible for
UI, their training grants don't apply to me, though I can
still use their center for it's other services.  San Jose
and environs residents have to use the WIA grant receivers,
Silicon Valley WIN, to get re-/training funds.  Let's just say,
they aren't very "accessible", or at least, I haven't found
them to be--of course, I haven't even managed to *talk* to
anyone yet. :-/.  YMMV.

NOVA main site: <http://www.novaworks.org/>
Connect! One-Stop: <http://connect.one-stop.org>

SVWIN main site: <http://www.siliconvalleywin.org/>

One caveat: WIA and state-funded training is generally
limited to 1 year or less programs and generally focused
on vocational-type training (Medical assisting, HVAC,
surgical tech, etc.).  You have to do labor market
research on the area you want training in, to support
your request--i.e. "prove" it's viable for employment.

HTH--
=Nadine=