How do you upgrade a disk in a single disk Linux system ?

Ulf Zimmermann ulf at Alameda.net
Fri Nov 28 11:20:08 PST 2003

So I was fighting yesterday with trying to upgrade a system from a
single 120GB drive to a dual 250GB. The system only has 2 drive
slots, so I put in one 250GB disk as second, create a copy of
the file systems /, /boot, /usr, /var, swap and a smaller /home which
had the rest of the 120GB before. The rest of the 250GB disk
together with the second 250GB disk became later a lvm.

Now I tried to get grub to install on hdc (the first 250GB disk)
for later running as hda and thats where I failed. /boot was
a primary partition, it was set active with the bootflag.

The system found no OS. Tried via PXE boot a grub floppy which
would allow me to specify to load kernel, etc. from the disk,
but that grub complained corrupt partition table.

So the question, how would you go about swapping the primary
disk with a larger disk, without loosing data ?

--
Regards, Ulf.