Good Agentless monitoring packages?

Michael T. Halligan michael at halligan.org
Tue Nov 25 17:12:32 PST 2003

> You're talking to a bunch of sysadmins -- you can probably get a little
> more technical than "a bit easier to chew on." :)

Well basically I just want the ability to keep a customer's systems pretty
vanilla, without adding much (or anything) to them that doesn't come with
the default distribution (redhat 7.3 is their standard).  It becomes a lot
easier to maintain consitency over the 200+ servers we'll be monitoring
by not having to worry about installing newer versions of nrpe/nagios
agents when we do upgrades, etc.. And NRPE agents get ugly when you
begin monitoring servers behind several levels of firewalls, especially
when a lot of these servers don't have gateways or routes out of their
subnets (at that point an snmp collector or a script to periodically collect
rpc stats become a lot simpler).

We definately want more features than mrtg has.. We're considering just nagios
and biting the bullet on the agents, big sister, or cricket..

--
Michael T. Halligan