Good Agentless monitoring packages?

Roy S. Rapoport rsr at inorganic.org
Tue Nov 25 15:55:40 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 04:21:37PM -0800, Michael T. Halligan wrote:
> I'm looking for a decent agentless monitoring package.. I've been using
> netsaint/nagios for a few years, and like it, but I need something that's
> a bit easier to chew on, using already included tools like snmp or rpcstats ..

You're talking to a bunch of sysadmins -- you can probably get a little
more technical than "a bit easier to chew on." :)

I love nagios, obviously, and it can use SNMP just as easily for monitoring
(I wrote a plugin sometime ago that gave me disk space utilization and
alarming for both Windows and UNIX using SNMP).

If you want to stay as pure SNMP as possible, you probably want to check
out MRTG, though it's much more capable in the trending arena than in the
alarming arena.

-roy