Mapquest and CO (telco central office) locations

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Wed Nov 19 16:58:18 PST 2003

On a few occasions in the not-so-distant past, I had noticed that
Mapquest provided a capability to enter the area code and prefix of
a telephone number, and it (mapquest) would then depict the area
served by that area code/prefix combination.

In each of the cases I tried where I knew the location in question,
it also identifed the location of the CO (central office), by a
star in the center of the generated map.

A few weeks ago, I happened to mention to someone that this neat
capability existed; when I tried to demonstrate it, I found that
it apparently no longer exists.

Is anyone else able to confirm that -- about this, anyway -- I was,
in fact, not hallucinating?  And does anyone know either how to
recover this capability or know that it was removed for some
set of reasons?

Thanks,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
If you want true virus-protection for your PC, install a non-Microsoft OS
on it.  Plausible candidates include FreeBSD, Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and
Solaris (in alphabetical order).